November 14, 2007

Something to look forward to...



So I'm counting the days until I leave for the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship in lovely Long Beach, Cali.
Blue skies. Puffy white clouds. Lots of sunshine.
It beats the heck out of our grey winter gloom here in PDX.

And yes, even though it's more travel (which by this point I have grown ever so weary of) at least I'll be doing it up luxury style. Booyah! Last year my room had the most amazing view, especially at night. Of course, it is work and I'll be putting in loooooonnnngggg hours, but the trade off is totally worth it. I need a break from what's become a tedious rut and what better place to break out of a rut than beautiful Cal-i-forn-i-A. There will be beautifully dressed people and well-groomed dogs, all out for a couple of nights on the town.
What's really great fun is seeing many of the top dogs out for their nightly stroll on a major city street. It's truly a sight to behold and a simple explanation does not do it justice. I will have to try and capture the moment digitally this year. It's really quite the weekend in the dog world, even eclipsing that bastion of shows known as Westminster.

And what's my favorite breed of dog, you might be asking? Well, there are so many to choose from and some I've had and really loved. Our Labrador Retriever, Sadie, was the fourth family member for 14 years. To us, she was the epitome of man's best friend. However, traveling so much has precluded having a dog at this time so I get all the fun of playing with dogs at the shows and none of the mess to pick up afterward! If and when it's time to have a dog enter my heart, I am torn between a couple of breeds but these are my top three:

Bedlington Terrier

Tibetan Terrier (a very dear friend has a great breeding program)

Scottish Terrier
and of course, another Lab.

3 comments:

Joanna in Las Vegas said...

Three of the four require a committment to a lot of grooming... but the TT is the most intensive. I had one and she was my heart dog... but a LOT of mats to keep out... Scotties are hardy and the grooming is easily done at a groomer and Bedlingtons are even more demanding than the TT and labs are just goofy

quin browne said...

i have a westie, bred out of the scottie.

(as you'd know)

i find it so amusing, the complete difference in both colour and temper... the dour dark scottie, and the chipper light westie.

she's almost best dog i've ever had..that title going to a terrier mix...

i adore terriers, they are fiesty, tough, loyal... mine is kept in a short puppy cut. once we moved to nyc, it was silly to keep the skirt going.. currently, she resides with my mom, living the life of an old ladies dog, being pampered, groomed, spoiled, and when she hears my voice on the phone... her onemandog temperment rises up, and she 'talks'.

lucky you. i'd have a great time there.

Tibetan lover said...

I have an eight month old tibetan terrier. His name is Gus and he is smart, willful, sneaking and very loving. He loves to be with people or other dogs.
I need recommendations for a good groomer for my dog in the Portland/Vancouver area. Help, he needs a haircut.